Eat Natural - Live Peaceful

Eat Natural - Live Peaceful
Kids learn how to make healthy herb refreshments!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Summertime Sprinkle!

I'm in love...

last night I toasted 3/4 cup amaranth, 3/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds in a 300 degree oven about 8 to 11 minutes (just until golden). I was creating a no bake peanut butter log type cookie for my sister's birthday gift.

The toasted combination was so good - I sprinkled it on the coleslaw I made for dinner; it got sprinkled on ice cream, sprinkled on yogurt and just a spoon of sprinkles was a great treat. My future plans are to add it to krispy treats, muffins, cookies.... freshly grilled fish, chicken....

So I investigated the benefits of Amaranth and it is full of protein (rivaling dairy), vitamins and mineral. The Aztecs used it as a source of energy and fortitude as equally important to them as corn and beans were to keep them alive.

Amaranth is very tiny, just a bit bigger than a poppy seed ... so hurry to the kitchen and create your summer sprinkle. (gluten free too!) 

See Favorite Recipes to the right for a sprinkle treat.

Jo

Real food.  Real Easy.  Real Fun.

No comments: