Eat Natural - Live Peaceful

Eat Natural - Live Peaceful
Kids learn how to make healthy herb refreshments!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Are You Ready for the Natural Cook?

If you've been thinking of ways to improve your health and take charge of your food choices, then you're ready to connect with The Natural Cook.  I'm pleased to introduce you to my new blog!

My blog was fuled by enthusiastic feedback from clients who have been receiving my e-mails since they attended one of my classes.  I realized that I wanted to be able to share my thoughts and cooking inpirations in a fun format that could be accessed by anyone interested in learning how to easily cook healthy meals with "natural" foods.

What's Natural? -- eliminating hormones, antibiotics, artificial sweeteners, food colors or flavorings, and other chemicals.

I will update main information on a weekly basis and add tidbits from my Test Kitchen as the inspirations come to me so that you too can be inspired to expand your taste buds in the world of natural foods.  I will also share preparation tips and fun, seasonal recipes.  So let's start with a summertime refreshment!

One of the most important things you can do is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...
  Skip those articial sweeteners and fructose-filled flavored waters with a Creative Cooler:

Create your own coolers with a simple formula:
Muddle together 3 tablespoons natural Florida Crystals or 1 tab FC and 1 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar with: (choose one or more)

1/4 cup basil leaves torn                 ¼ cup parsley   
1 tablespoon orange zest                1 tablespoon lime zest
¼ cup mint leaves torn                   1-2 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
¼ cup chopped cucumber               1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon lemon verbena

Mix with 2 cups cold water; 2 cups ice
¼ cup your choice of freshly squeezed juice:
    Lemon
    Lime
    Mango nectar
    Pineapple juice
       (a great way to use the pineapple skin if you trim your own – squeeze for juice)

2 comments:

Linda C said...

I have this huge plant of Lemon Balm and I don't know what to do with it. What cao I muddle this with to make a nice drink? And can I cook with it? I was thinking Thai coconut chicken soup - what do you think?

Jo said...

Lemon Balm is a wonderful herb! Lucky you.. drinks are a great way to experience its wonderful lemon flavor mixed with lavender or ginger root. I like to put the herbs together and steep them a bit in almost boiling water, just pour it over and over for 5 to 6 minutes.

Thai foods are great, but don"t forget to use it anywhere a little lemon lift would shine like in muffins, cookies, dressings.